For Secondary 4 or 5 school candidates (in Singapore) taking the O-Level Additional Maths this year, many are likely to have registered for the new syllabus 4047.
In this post, I would like to highlight the main differences between the new (4047) and old (4038) syllabus:
- Matrices, Factor formula are excluded from the new syllabus
- Intercept, Intersecting chord and Tangent-secant theorem are excluded from the new syllabus
- Sum and differences of cubes in Polynomials are included in the new syllabus
In conclusion, since there are more exclusions than inclusions. We should be expecting more application questions which can be linked to everyday life applications in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering etc.
The keys to achieve distinction in O-Level Additional Maths are still:
- a solid foundation in basic concepts,
- well-equipped with application strategies,
- wide exposure to carefully selected application questions,
- good management of time for doing and checking
- exam-smart strategies