How To Retake O Level As a Private Candidate

2014 Update: Registration for private candidates to take or retake 'O' Level exams is open. Click here for more information.

Kindly call 6872 2220, MOE Customer Service Hotline for any questions regarding Private O level candidate registration or click here for other contact methods.

With the release of GCE O Level results, I received 2 phonecalls from parents whose children did not perform well asking me about how to go about registering as private candidate to retake the O Levels as well as if I could providing some coaching for their children so that they can do much better for this year O Levels.

So I thought I might as write about how to retake O Level as a private candidate. (:

As a private candidate, I would suggest you enroll in one of the private schools providing full time education for preparation of O Level examinations. These schools have their teaching systems structured to teach the subjects so that you are more readily prepared for your second chance.

Examination Entry Requirements

• You may register as a private candidate if you satisfy the minimum age requirement of 15 on 1st January of the examination year.
  • Private candidates may enter up to a maximum of nine subjects.
  • Registration for exam is usually during March period every year. You may register online at SEAB site

These logistics matters should be well taken care by the private centres when you sign up with them.

Things to note as a private candidate

• Be disciplined towards your learning. Ensure that you work hard and achieve your goals.
  • Treasure your 2nd chance.
  • Ensure that you are taking the correct syllabus since there are changes in syllabus recently. Check out the relevant syllabus here

"The end is yet another new beginning."

Related Posts:

Hi, I'm Ai Ling Ong. I enjoy coaching students who have challenges with understanding and scoring in 'O' Level A-Maths and E-Maths. I develop Math strategies, sometimes ridiculous ideas to help students in understanding abstract concepts the fast and memorable way. I write this blog to share with you the stuff I teach in my class, the common mistakes my students made, the 'way' to think, analyze... If you have found this blog post useful, please share it with your friends. I will really appreciate it! :)

110 Responses to How To Retake O Level As a Private Candidate
  1. cynthia lim
    January 27, 2008 | 10:27 pm

how to retake the june o level paper in singapore and how to register

2. alwaysLovely
    January 28, 2008 | 12:51 pm

Hi Cynthia, from my understanding, retake of O Level papers is usually Oct/Nov period.
    O Level June papers are for other countries; unless you are taking specific, unique subjects.
    You might want to contact MOE for clarifications

Wan Reply:

June is for Brunei i guess..

3. qn
    January 31, 2008 | 12:32 pm

how to retake one sub for o level?

4. Jessica
    February 2, 2008 | 6:46 pm

I've graduated from poly last year.. however i wish to retake my O-level English..

Can i just apply for one subject?

5. alwaysLovely
    February 3, 2008 | 12:21 am

hmm... seems like there is a common question. Retake for 1 Subj and the how...

I should think that if SEAB has yet to provide any info. You can pick up of a copy Strait Times Classified Education Section. Call up any private schools. I am certain that they will do to help you..

Cheers!

6. Patrick
    February 18, 2008 | 2:32 am

How many O level credits is considered O level graduate? Minimum, is it 3 sudject?

7. [...] have written previously in How To Retake O Level As A Private Candidate on some of the steps involved in the [...]

8. Criz
    March 30, 2008 | 2:18 pm

is there any way to apply for retake?... i didn't know the registration period was so short...

9. micheal
    April 4, 2008 | 4:52 pm

is there anyway to apply now??? cuz i only wan to retake english only. But didnt know the the registration period was so short…

10. alwaysLovely
    April 4, 2008 | 5:07 pm

"I hope the following information is useful"
    for more info, Check out ==> http://www.seab.gov.sg/SEAB/eservices/iERS/Registration.html

Prospective candidates who have not registered but wish to register under late registration may write in to SEAB through either email

from 26 March 2008 onwards. A late entry fee of S$50.00 is payable.

Candidates who have registered during the registration perod but wish to make amendments may write in to SEAB through either email

(SEAB_ContactUs_Operations@seab.gov.sg) or posted mail to (298, Jalan Bukit Ho Swee, Singapore 169565 Attn: Operations Division).
    However, candidates have to make all their outstanding payments at any Singapore Post or through S.A.M prior to making any
    amendments. An amendment fee of S$20.00 is payable.

11. rizlan
    April 11, 2008 | 1:18 pm

i do not have any cert...but wish take private o level....
    is it possible....?

12. alwaysLovely
    April 11, 2008 | 5:42 pm

Refer to MOE site as provided in the top section of this post for all enquiries.

13. Gulan
    April 15, 2008 | 12:39 am

hello, I have register for one of the O level exams, however, where do I go to take the examination? Thanks.

14. Fikri
    April 22, 2008 | 11:29 pm

Do you think it is possible to improve some of my grades by taking private although Ive managed to pass my O levels.

I want some of my B3s to get A1s

15. Fikri
    April 22, 2008 | 11:30 pm

and can my olevel cert be combined?

16. alwaysLovely
    April 24, 2008 | 1:15 pm

Fikri: Everything is possible if you want it to be.
    Now if you have registered for the retake of O Level this year then work hard and consistently towards what you want to achieve. I am sure your consistent efforts will pay off.
    If you have not registered, you would need to check with MOE on registering now as well as if your O Level Cert can be combined.

17. alwaysLovely
    April 24, 2008 | 1:21 pm

There are examination centres for private candidates. Please refer to the instruction for 2008 private candidates ==> http://www.seab.gov.sg/SEAB/oLevel/2008InstructionsForPrivateCandidates.pdf

18. Abigail
    July 3, 2008 | 4:54 pm

Hi,
    I took my O levels in year 2000, with only 4 passes.
    I failed my Science D7
    If I were to retake my O levels next year, can I retake science w/o having to attend a school? Can I take subjects that were previously not available to us?
    like Literature?
    Will combine cert be recogised for the seating that is 10 years apart?
    Thanks

19. Fazlina
    July 9, 2008 | 3:36 pm

Is it possible if I stop school at Sec 3Express , and then I study by myself or have a tutor .

And by next year , I can register for Private O level .
    Which simply means I'm taking O level as an O level candidate and not an O level retaker . Is it possible .. ?

20. need to improve
    July 27, 2008 | 12:14 pm

If i want to retake my 0 level next year, how is it possible as i have only 3 passes now. i would like to have 3 more passes eg, history maths and geography and english. how and where can i find the right text to prepare sturdying for them. thanks alot.

21. need to improve
    July 27, 2008 | 12:16 pm

If i want to retake my 0 level next year, how is it possible as i have only 3 passes now with a c6 in english. i would like to have 3 more passes eg, history maths and geography and get a better grade in english. how and where can i find the right text to prepare sturdying for them. thanks alot.

22. sadia
    August 23, 2008 | 4:01 pm

how and when do i apply to retake it next year january? i onli want to retake science in Hong kong.. IGCSE double science...

23. sadia
    August 23, 2008 | 4:02 pm

thank u..

24. Iwanttoachieve!
    September 22, 2008 | 12:23 am

izzit possible for a N(T) level student to take O level as a private candidate? :)

25. melz
    September 23, 2008 | 5:56 pm

Hie the problem is why nobody want to tell us how much it costs for us to retake the o levels? does anybody have any idea?
    Also, is there such a thing as we retake but do not have to enrol at a private school ?

alwaysLovely Reply:

Hi Melz,

Examination fees are found in this file which I have included in the blog post above

It's not compulsory to enrol in any private school but most private candidates want to have a refresher course to prepare themselves fully for the GCE 'O' exams.

26. Siti
    September 24, 2008 | 12:30 pm

Hi. I just want to ask. I do not have PSLE. I have never taken PSLE before. And I have never been in Sec sch education due to some reasons. Can I still take O levels without a PSLE cert and without a Sec Sch edu? How is it going to be done? Please advise. Thank you.

alwaysLovely Reply:

Kindly call 6872 2220 - MOE Customer Service Hotline

27. Nur Effidah
    October 16, 2008 | 10:15 am

I'm currently in ITE in 2007-2008, graduating this december, holding a NITEC certificate in digital media design. I'am from normal Technical. I'm am planning to take privately.I want to sit for the O. I have a tutor already. When can i enroll?
    How much is the examination fees?

28. Luna
    February 22, 2009 | 1:08 pm

Hi! I would like to retake my 'O' level English as a private candidate... I want to find out what's the exam fee costs like? Still tinkin if i should join the ite for classes too. (I do realis tt their fees does not include exam fees)

29. [...] have written previously in How To Retake O Level As A Private Candidate on some of the steps involved in the [...]

30. gy
    March 22, 2009 | 1:17 am

can poly students retake o lvl ? pls reply asap. thanks so so much ...

alwaysLovely Reply:

@gy, Luna: Kindly call 6872 2220 - MOE Customer Service Hotline

31. Grace Tam
    May 6, 2009 | 2:47 pm

Hi,

my bro is taking his O'levels as a private candidate and has registered for all 5 subjects. However, im trying to find a private school for him to do his Science Practical. But, i cant find any! BMC and Eddigton only offer combined Phy/Chem.. whereelse, my bro is taking bio/chem. any schools you can recommend? :)

*running out of time*

cheerios

alwaysLovely Reply:

Hi Grace,

To be honest, I'm not able to recommend you any private schools as I am not familiar with private schools. Based on my knowledge, BMC seems to be the more reputable one.

You can always search online or Strait Times Classified or post your questions on popular forums.

These should help.

Cheers!

Asad Mehmood Reply:

Dear,
    Hoe are you? Hope you will be in a good health.
    I need your help.Can you please help me, i want to study in O Leval as a private candidate,but i am a poor boy i can not bear the expenses of study.Will you plz help me? I waill never forget your this brilliant help up as long as i live.
    Plz help me yhis is my e-mail address,
    atoy_20032003@yahoo.co.uk
    Awaiting for your reply anxiously.
    Your's Truely,
    Asad Mehmood.

Wan Reply:

Try Singapore Institute of Science (SIS)..

32. Soon
    May 14, 2009 | 10:07 pm

Hi,
    I understand that the syllabus for 2004 "O" level ENGLISH is different as conpared to this year's paper. Is it necessary to enrol in private sch to learn the new syllabus?

And 1 thing is that, if i re-take my"O" level ENGLISH this year, is it still applicable to sign up for part-time degree (PSB)? As PSB states that the applicant are required to take IELTS (British council) as i didn't get C6 for my ENGLISH.

33. christine
    August 28, 2009 | 1:05 pm

hi ai ling huh i want to knwo is there any place that i can study and retake my n levels

haha

i am 27 this year

34. Wan
    October 28, 2009 | 10:47 pm

Hai, I will graduate from my current school with O Level certificate in hand.. However, I only taking 5 subjects and my current school(private) did not offer Bio, Chemistry and any Humanities subject. How I want to take them next year as I want to enter JC (Science stream) and combined them with my this year result? Any instituiton offer those subjects seperately?

Thank you for your help..

35. Asad Mehmood
    November 3, 2009 | 2:46 pm

Hy Dears
    I am Asad Mehmood from Pakistan.My collification is F.A (12 classess).I want to get higher education but i can not bear the expenses of education bcoz i am a poor boy.I need your help.Is there anybody who can help me and save my future.I aslo want to study in O-Level.
    Awaiting for yours reply anxiously.
    Your's Truely,
    Asad Mehmood.

Wan Reply:

O level in government school is much cheaper. My advice is, I think you can just study in your country, where local people only need to pay a small amount of money.

Asad Mehmood Reply:

Dear Wan,
    How are you?
    Hope you will be in a good health.
    Will you please guide me how i can study as O Level private candidate in my country?
    Awaiting for your response!
    Your's Sincerely,
    Asad

36. Isabella
    November 12, 2009 | 10:52 pm

Hi. I am an IP student who will be in Sec 4 in 2o10.
    (1)I want to take the 'O' levels as a private candidate and use the L1R5 to go to another JC. This is possible, right?
    (2)All IP students have to take Higher Mother Tongue 'O' level exam at end of Sec 4. Hence, I'm planning to take 8 subjects as a private candidate and HMT in my sec school. MOE will combine the results for the 9 subjects into a single certificate, I believe?
    Btw, I know the differences b/w the IP and 'O' level syllabuses. I understand that there are limited places in the top JCs so I've started serious studying already.
    Thanks!=))

37. Cynderellacai
    November 16, 2009 | 7:16 pm

Hi always lovely,

I am helping my sister to look for private schools but I'm a bit helpless...
    I have read your replies to all queries. I know that you have no idea of the private schools...
    However, are you able to help to search for some good private schools & recommend? (I only know BMC)
    This would be of great help to many!!!

Thanks and best regards,
    Cynderellacai

38. Ginchy
    December 2, 2009 | 11:25 am

Hi, will there be any test or case by case basis if I to take this O level? im from ITE and i only have N level.

39. Vincent
    December 6, 2009 | 3:07 am

I am malaysian, I will like to take O level singapore. Any private school recommended for my preparation?

40. michelle
    December 18, 2009 | 9:41 pm

Hello, i am age 16 this year and have failed my N levels ny 1 point and thus wish to take private Os next yr.I would be going to tution instead of going private school. How to apply to take private O next yr and do you have any suggestion?

alwaysLovely Reply:

Details would be released in late feb & early march period for private candidate registration.

41. Bella Tan
    December 31, 2009 | 11:35 pm

Hey I'm gona be Secondary 3 and currently in Double Science Express studying Physics and Bio. Due to not meeting up the requirement to study all 3 Sciences, I would like to take Biology as a private candidate inorder to be able to study 1 when i go to Junior college or Poly.
    Do u tink it;s possible to just take 1 subject as a private candidate without private schooling? I can be tutored instead. I understand that private candidates are mainly to retake their exam but isit possible for someone who has not took 1 before to sit for the exam as one?

alwaysLovely Reply:

@Bella Tan, For science exams, there could be a practical component which makes it a little tricky. I would suggest you call SEAB for advice.

42. Bella Tan
    December 31, 2009 | 11:36 pm

Erm srry, Im currently studying Physics and Chemistry,NOT BIO. Error..srry.

43. sara
    January 3, 2010 | 7:05 pm

if i retake a certain subject, will my grade on the original marksheet be replaced?

44. Max
    January 11, 2010 | 10:57 pm

How do i combine my results of 2009 and 2010?coz i only get 2010 result slip...

45. Ally
    January 13, 2010 | 6:06 pm

hi ai ling,

please advice how many o level subjects are required for entry into JC in singapore. I'm a malaysian and have been reading your blog and found it very useful. please advice. many thanks.

have a nice day!

ally

Alan Reply:

6 subjects.. visit Singapore Ministry of Education website for details on those subjects.. or JAE website..

46. W.
    February 8, 2010 | 2:06 am

Hey sorry , I called but where can I sign up for science , because i heard it must go for a school for Science subject.

Alan Reply:

Just visit http://www.bmc.edu.sg

u can study there part-time too.. Just visit the centre directly for help n inquiry..

47. joanne
    February 8, 2010 | 9:41 pm

hi
    i want to know sth abt o level
    if i am a private candidate, can i take my science as one pure science and one combine scinece like pure physics and combined chem/bio?

48. zack
    September 10, 2010 | 1:38 am

hey. i was absence for my english paper 1 and 2 , what result will i get? and i would like to retake next year . second question , can i only retake GCE N(T) ENGLISH only? or every other subject? third question , if i was to retake again and pass will this effect my previous cert? AND I NEED URGENT REPLY .

49. Gan yee zhi
    October 21, 2010 | 4:02 pm

Hi.Do u know how many private school is there in Singpore?which one is the cheapest?

50. SE
    January 2, 2011 | 9:11 pm

Hi,
    I'm sec 3 this year studying in an IP school. Is there any way at all I can take 'O' Levels as a private candidate this year cause according to SEAB website I have to be 15 as of 1st Jan but I'm only 14.
    Do you provide training for practical (chem)?
    Thanks.

Ai Ling Reply:

SE,

In your case, I suggest you to call SEAB to find out more or even check with your school teacher.

SEAB contact: http://seab.gov.sg/aboutUs/contactUs.html

SE Reply:

Thanks, Ms Ai Ling.

Do you do chemistry practical?

Ai Ling Reply:

No, we don't.
    You might want to call private schools. Some have the facility.

51. mrs lim
    January 6, 2011 | 6:56 pm

Which school do u know of has a gd success rate of helping students to do retake 2011.When r u starting your emaths o lvl 2011?tks

52. sazlinda
    January 11, 2011 | 5:40 pm

hi there, my name is sazlinda and would like to ask a question on how i can retake my o level english only as i got 7 for it. By the way, i am 29 years old and applying a part time job required a pass in english and it hurts me so much when i am being rejected so easily,not even a chance to try me first as i am so fedup.I got 3 passes in my 1998 O level results.Please help me on how to retake my paper again.thank you for your co-operation and understanding.

jenny Reply:

To retake your O level again, you can enrol with ITE for a fulltime or part-time course to retake your O level but you will hv to register yourself with SEAH as private candidate.
    More info website :http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/ite/apps/fcd_faqmain.aspx
    Registration with SEAB usually open(late Feb/early March).
    More info website :http://seab.gov.sg/

53. debra quek pei ling
    January 13, 2011 | 4:24 pm

where can i register for private and how much will it cost for one subject?when can i start registering before the last day can you pls give me a reply through email thanks.

54. angeline
    January 22, 2011 | 8:28 pm

Erm..can i know how to register for a retake in English only? thanks

valerie Reply:

I would like to retake my o level english this year. how to register n how long do i need to prepare for the exam?

Ken yap kar wee Reply:

valerir you know where to take

55. annie
    January 26, 2011 | 6:25 pm

i want to take o level this year how am i going to do??

Ai Ling Reply:

Registration is usually opened during late Feb/early March period.

This is the website with information: http://seab.gov.sg/oLevel/infoPrivate.html

56. Ivy Chua
    February 1, 2011 | 9:49 pm

I would like to retake my English'O' level. How do I go about registering myself? I require tutition!
    Thank you.

57. miss worry
    March 15, 2011 | 11:24 pm

hi, I am LOST. After registering for my O'levels (private candidate) I am lost as to which schools should i go to for the lessons as I've heard that the syllabus has changed. Pls revert to me. Much appreciated. =)

Ai Ling Reply:

Perhaps you would want to google on Private Schools in Singapore or read about other private candidates discussion on forums?

58. confused
    July 25, 2011 | 11:59 pm

it is possible to give o level biology privately, right? i don't think it requires any practicals

59. nathan obaje
    November 28, 2011 | 8:23 pm

i am going to na and i am wondering if i could register for privert o level and how much will it cost

60. worry girl
    December 4, 2011 | 5:42 pm

Hi I m 18 this year I was actually from poly.after attending yr1 sem 1 and half of sem 2, I decided to withdraw from poly. It's a long story actually.I dislike the course.Now I want to retake my O levels.I just want to retake my Emath. May I know how do I go about it?Eg i want to go to a business course 17 points.Can I just retake EMath 2012 results combine together with my 2010 results and enter JAE? Or must I retake every subject?

61. worry girl
    December 4, 2011 | 5:42 pm

Thanks alot (:

62. MSN
    January 12, 2012 | 4:10 pm

I got D7 in Gen.Humanities, English and D&T and C6 in AMaths. C6 in Science & EMaths totaling 25.
    If I retake English, AMaths and EMaths and score A1 in three, what would be improvement in my score?

Would AMaths & EMaths scores counted seperately or either of best score is considered in calculating qulifying points for Poly?

Please advise ASAP

63. MSN
    January 12, 2012 | 4:13 pm

Can I take Pure Physics(though it was not my subject in regular GCE O exam) as Pvt Candidate? Would it be counted?

64. Nicholas
    February 9, 2012 | 9:45 am

Is it possible for me to take O's in a public school as a private candidate ? Pls reply asap ty (:

65. alfian
    February 15, 2012 | 2:43 am

Hi there. im a secondary 3 express student. i am planning to quit school this year and take private o next year. is that possible? i can self study or be tutored.

66. suhasni
    February 23, 2012 | 1:56 am

hi i would like to attend biology classes .. as i am doing olevels .. and the school that i attend for o's dont have biology.. so is there any place whicg i can attend biology classes alone..

67. jess
    March 2, 2012 | 9:11 pm

I didn't finish secondary 3 and I'm actually more concern about the full time education you mentioned and that you you know of private schools providing help in that. Can you direct me please?

68. Ken yap kar wee
    June 10, 2012 | 9:16 pm

May I know how to say that i want to took private O level. And what are subject are that providies

69. Zurah
    August 27, 2012 | 12:01 am

Hi there. I just want to know how many times can a candidate retake their O levels. Be it private or not. Please reply via email. Thank you.

70. busy 88
    September 13, 2012 | 7:47 pm

I would like to take O level as a private candidate. I m currently holding a Secondary 4NT. I would want to take E.MATH, may I know where and which book to buy to study E.Math? Please reply me. Thank you.

71. Balaraman
    September 20, 2012 | 10:47 pm

hi.. m balaram.. from malaysia, i would lik to take o'level. Where m i suppose to register.... please reply me asap thank q...

72. jasmine
    October 23, 2012 | 2:28 am

Hi, I just sat for my English paper and am pretty confident that I might fail. Is there anyway in which I could retake the English paper only and when could I take it. Would the results be out in time for poly? Thanks

73. R.GUNASELAN
    December 12, 2012 | 4:00 pm

HI,I TOOK MY GCE'O' LEVEL IN 1995.CAN I TAKE MY GCE'O' LEVEL IN 2013.

74. Nurul
    January 6, 2013 | 1:58 pm

Hie can you help me ? How do i go about taking O level . Im 19 this year and im from GCE N LEVEL . I only pass eng and malay . Roughly how much does it cost for private O ? Am i eligible to take ? Appreciate if eu could Pls revert back to me . Thanks.

75. saravanan
    February 7, 2013 | 1:22 pm

I have currently dropped out from my higher nitec course and would like to retake my EM only.can u direct me

Ai Ling Reply:

Go to http://seab.gov.sg

76. qing
    February 28, 2013 | 2:25 am

which private school is the best for prepartory courses for o level? please help

77. Qistina
    March 2, 2013 | 2:52 pm

Hey, Im 17 and wanting to retake my Olevel this year, just my pure chem and emaths. Does anyone know any good private schools around in Singapore? Please reply as soon as possible.

78. Saddam
    March 17, 2013 | 7:39 pm

I was wondering if i am over aged for O levels i have never taken any so please do tell me.

Ai Ling Reply:

I don't think there's any age limit. Please check with MOE, Singapore.

79. Miss sotong
    May 2, 2013 | 6:15 pm

Hi, i would like to know that, you only provide o level math lesson??

80. Ms Rajoo
    July 22, 2013 | 10:06 am

my son has 2 olevel and wants to continue his education. he is doing his ns now - which is the best path? private school ? Pls adv.

Ai Ling Reply:

Hi MS Rajoo, private schools would be a good option for retaking GCE O-Levels.
    You can get more information for private candidates from http://www.seab.gov.sg

81. Syamim
    October 24, 2013 | 1:05 am

How many times can you retake O Levels?

Ai Ling Reply:

Kindly check with Ministry of Education, Singapore.

82. QQ
    January 16, 2014 | 6:28 pm

Hi, do you know how much does it cost if we wanna take private O's and do self studying?

Ai Ling Reply:

For GCE O-Level examination fees: please go to: http://www.seab.gov.sg/eservices/iERS/Registration.html

83. jenna
    January 25, 2014 | 7:16 pm

Hi.I want to take o level am this year as a private candidate,as last year I skipped the exam.I want to know how private candidate for o level like?

Ai Ling Reply: